- To share your ETA in Apple Maps on your iPhone, you’ll need to have the app open and in use for navigation.
- Your friends will be able to track your progress so they know when you will arrive.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The ETA feature in Apple Maps for iPhone, a new feature in iOS 13, lets you give your friends a real-time window into your route and location — that way, they don’t have to wonder when you will arrive.
Note that this feature is not available in the Maps app on an iPhone running iOS 12 or earlier.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to share your ETA in Apple Maps on an iPhone
1. Open Maps and find your destination.
2. If you haven’t already started directions to a location, tap the blue „Directions“ button. Type in the location address, choose your preferred driving route and tap the green „GO“ button to start navigation.
3. While navigating, tap the gray line at the bottom of your screen to reveal menu options, including Share ETA.
4. Tap the „Share ETA“ button.
5. When you tap the „Share ETA“ icon, Maps pulls up your five most recent contacts. Tap any one of those to share your ETA with that person. You can share your ETA with more than one person at a time.
6. If you want to share your ETA with someone who isn’t in your five most recent contacts, tap the „Contacts“ icon to search for that person. Tap the contact on the list to start sharing.
7. While you have sharing on, you’ll see a notice at the bottom of your screen that reminds you that you have sharing on and how many people you have shared with.
8. The icon of each person you’re sharing with will have a blue ring around it in the Share ETA screen. To stop sharing with someone, simply tap their icon to end sharing.
There are some limitations on sharing your ETA in Apple’s Maps app. You need to be actively using the app for navigation. It also only works for driving directions — walking and transit don’t have the ETA option, and Apple doesn’t include biking directions.
Most importantly, you can only share your ETA with people in your contacts list, so be sure to add people to your contacts before you try to share ETA.
Product Name: iPhone 11
Card Type: small