Viral News

Australia’s COVID-19 hotspot sees active cases fall to four-month low


World

A woman walks past a display of photos outside the Royal Melbourne Hospital

A woman walks past a display of photos outside the Royal Melbourne Hospital on Oct 20, 2020. (Photo: AFP/William West)


(Updated: )

SYDNEY: Australia’s Victoria state – the epicentre of the country’s COVID-19 outbreak – on Friday (Oct 23) reported that active coronavirus cases have fallen to a four-month low, paving the way for an acceleration in the easing of social distancing curbs.

The nation’s second-most populous state, which recorded just one new infection in the past 24 hours, said there are now 100 active cases – the lowest since Jun 19.

“This is a good number. This is a very clear sign that the strategy is working,” Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters in Melbourne.

READ: Australia’s Victoria state paves way for pop up dining as virus cases remain low

The active infections are a relief to state authorities amid heightened fears of a fresh cluster after a case in a school in Melbourne’s northern suburbs prompted authorities to order 800 people to self-isolate.

However, with new case numbers in single digits for nine consecutive days, Andrews is expected to announce on Sunday an accelerated timetable for easing restrictions in a boost to Australia’s ailing economy.

Melbourne’s roughly 5 million residents were granted more freedom to move about on Monday after a months-long lockdown, but public gatherings remain tightly limited and retailers and restaurants must operate only on take-away or delivery orders.

Australia has recorded just over 27,400 COVID-19 infections, far fewer than many other developed countries. Victoria accounts for more than 90 per cent of the 905 deaths nationally.

States are on heightened alert for possible outbreaks emerging from overseas despite international borders remaining closed.

READ: Australia in travel talks with Singapore, Japan, Korea as COVID-19 cases ease

In Queensland state, authorities said on Thursday they are considering their options after two members on a freighter tested positive for COVID-19.

The ship was blocked from docking in Brisbane after New Zealand authorities alerted Australian officials earlier this week that the vessel’s crew could be infected with a new strain of the virus.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram

Read More

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker